. Durbz Blog: Boredom Surfing Rocks !!!

Please note that this blog has moved to http://www.marcforrest.com

Tuesday, October 18, 2005

Boredom Surfing Rocks !!!

Over the last couple of days, I really haven’t felt like working, and aside from reading the hundreds of blogs I have on the right over here ->, I have been browsing the net.
Working for an ISP has its advantages, which allows fully fledged surfing, of which I take advantage of quite often.

So my blog today will be some of the cool things I have found over the last couple of days. Use them or don’t :)

First up in my blog last week, I was amazed at what Apple’s new offering in the iPod, the Video iPod. I was so marveled by this, I ordered myself one from Digicape. Eish, those spur of the moment things. Dunno how the bank manager is going to allow me this one,but eh, its an early Christmas present :).
Watch for the review in about 6 week’s time, once I get it.
I also downloaded the new version of iTunes, which is awesome. Again, still peeved that we can’t buy anything here in SA, so I went and found a new couple of tricks to get me going for my new toy.
First up I wanted to find out how I could convert .avi or .mpg files to .mov files so they can be played on the video iPod. And along came Xilisoft Video Converter. Wow. This thing can convert almost any video format to any video format. Amazing. Of course you need to buy it (cough cough). This had me more intrigued. Now I wanted to download videos to play. This is where Emule WOULD have come in handy, except it has become Shit over the last couple of months, and seems to have really slowed down.
Somehow I came across this page, which is a sneaky sneaky way of downloading music video’s from Yahoo Launch, and converting them into .wmv format. Brilliant. A little bit of work required, but hey. Well worth it.

One of the things required for it to work was something called PKLaunch, which required Greasemonkey for Firefox. WOW. What a cool little app is greasemonkey. It allows you to “install” customized javascript into webpages to make webpages easier to use. A perfect example is adding a delete button to Gmail.

Anyways, I converted a few vid’s and we will see how it goes.
I also came across a website called digg.com which allows users to submit stories and as people read them they get bumped up the list. Another Great site added to my RSS Reader.
From there I came across the world sunlight map. At the top of this site was a link to webcams, which has a collection of private webcams which are open to the public.

Now I think I better get back to work, otherwise I just may never be able to blog again…

1 comment:

Lyn said...

This was a cool post. Very techie, but filled with great links. Funny that the Xilsoft vid converter picture has finding Nemo on it since thats what I'm trying to convert. What?? Its was great flick! Now if could get just around this content filter at work and downlo...er..purchase the serial, I'll be in business.